Thursday, December 20, 2007

assignment #11

As I was writing my play the hardest thing that I found frustrating was that i had to keep in my mind that I was writing a play not a story. that was really hard. the thing that kept reminding me that it was a play and not a story was the names on the margin and the stage directions. I found out that I can actually write a play and I used old fashioned words that i remembered from the previous plays I read. Once I started writing my play it was easy to make up the words, I didn't even have a story to go with my play I rather found it fun writing the play once i trained my mind to write a play and not a story. I didn't find anything unpleasant other than having to skip every other line as you write, other than that it went smoothly. I would be interested in writing screenplays one day if i get the time and the mind to do it and I don't think I would be amazing at it but I would like to try it. I'm more the novel writer type.

If I ever write a personal story it would be about my childhood and what I encountered in Africa. Africa is very different from the states. its like two different worlds. and when I came here everything changed. The people, school, the whole enviroment and it took me a while to get used to the fact that this will be my home for a long time. It changed for the better though, I got the opportunity to get good education and to meet new people.
This the editted version of my personal story. I would write my personal story based o a true experience not a fiction version of my life.

If I was to give a ten year old advice in growing it will be life is hard but never take it too seriously, have fun live a little, laugh alot, don't ever give up on anything if you set your mind to it. I would never give advice on my experiences because people are different and they might not even encounter what i did. I would give advice on their thoughts and their peers and the times they live in and defenitely some advice on schools. the advice on school will be what to expect and the different ways to excell in classes and how the easiest way to study for tests are. the advice on their thoughts would not be to dictate it but to be careful and be sure its what they want to think and stuff like that on what they do that's it because I know how my dad tells me what he thinks I should do and its annoying. The advice on their peers will be choose your friends and not waht they look like and what they wear but ehat is inside them and their personality. that's the advice my mom gave me when I was a kid.

1 comment:

Mr. Miles said...

Hey Muna, I hope you had a happy Eid yesterday!

I'm glad you found some joy in writing plays. It is an adjustment, but once you get used to it, it's a very freeing form in many ways.

Actually, Muna, I think your experiences in Africa and coming to America would be GREAT for the topic of your writing. I honestly think in the years to come, there will be a market for that as well as literature that expresses thoughts on being Muslim in America at this time in history. Seriously, Muna, I would encourage you to consider doing something with that. In years to come, other people will find solace and enjoyment from reading experiences that they can relate to or teach them about other cultures.